Re: A language by any other name

On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 08:28:57AM -0700, Bill Wohler wrote:

>   Just so there is no confusion, I am not suggesting that everyone in
>   the world use American English for everything. American English
>   should be used for the documentation in a Debian system and

so we should translate upstream documentation from any other
language (including British English) into American English?

>   therefore the alias for English should be en_US. If Romeo and Juliet
>   were turned a package, the text would of course be in en_GB, but
>   /usr/share/doc/r&j/README.Debian and the man page ;-) would be in
>   en_US.

If you try to enforce this, I would change all my documentation
into Esperanto[1].

Not that I have anything against US english, but I already spend
a great deal of time proofreading my documentation and hunting spelling
and grammar mistakes. I am not eager to strive for conformance with
US english in addition to this.

>   If a multi-billion dollar company whose employees have all learned
>   British English decide that their documentation should be in
>   American English, that's saying something.

About the company, that's sure. Nothing flattering, though.

[1] I wanted to say into Slovak first, but then I realized that
it would be provincional, unfair to other users and against the
international status of debian.