Re: debian more international

Hello,

At Mon, 24 Sep 2001 15:39:58 +0000,
Sulaiman Alhasawi <penguin@qualitynet.net> wrote:

>   Hello debian developers . Im from Kuwait and arabic is my language . i
> have been searching in debian
>  for arabic support [ fonts , docs , etc .... ] and found nothing . im
> interested in joining your community
>  and possibly taking care some of arabic projects .

If you already have such things [fonts, docs, etc...] outside Debian,
I recommend you to develop Debian packages for them.  For your packages
to be included in Debian distribution, you will have to be a registered
Debian developer.  Please read http://www.debian.org/devel/join/ for
detail in joining Debian Project.  Registration into Debian is a long
process which usually take months.  Thus, you will be interested in
Sponsorship Program which is mentioned in the above webpage.  When
developing Debian packages, please refer Developers' Corner
http://www.debian.org/devel/ and you will find some useful documents.

If you have to develop Arabic supports in upstream level (i.e.,
mere packaging is insufficient), I suggest you to contact with
the upstream developers of softwares.  For example, you may want
to contact with developers of Rxvt and Xterm to ask Arab support.

Also, I recommend you to maintain Arab web pages, documents, and
other translations for Debian.  Please refer
http://www.debian.org/international/ for detail.

> i have good
> experience in linux-unix and progaramming also . im just curious
> to know what do you think of it ?

Fantastic!  Debian intends to be a united "world version" distribution,
unlike other distributions or OSes (for example, we buy Japanese version
of MS Windows).  I am sure every Debian members will welcome the
addition of Arab support.

> unfortunately
> i dont know any developer who
>  can recommend me because i have not communicated with any one so far .

A problem.  Becoming a member of Debian Project needs an "advocate"
and some personal identification.  I think you can easily get your
advocate.  To do so, please do your work and ask comments in this
mailing list (or some other appropreate ones).  If a registered
developer admits your work as useful, he/she will be an advocate.
I think the most difficult step will be the Identification
http://www.debian.org/devel/join/nm-step2 .  Please consult with
new-maintainer committee for this problem.

> also i havent seen
> a real  arabic project  maintained by a developer .

I think this is not a problem.

> i would like debian
> to become
>  a better distro by covering more languages  and becomes more
> international .

I agree.

> any ideas ?

Join us! :-)