Re: iso 8859-6 fonts

On Fri, Sep 21, 2001 at 05:21:39AM +0300, Shaul Karl wrote:
> [05:09:10 tmp]$ grep-available -PX xfonts-intl-arabic
> Package: xfonts-intl-arabic

Which are couple of fonts in an Emacs-only encoding, not useful
outside of Emacs.

> Please note that in general Linux distros have problems with Arabic that are
> much severe then the fonts issue:
> The right to left (RTL) direction and the changing of the font according to
> context (or something similar) are way from being solved, especially, but not
> limited to, text consoles. And these are far difficult problems then one might
> think at first look.

For a large set of programs, the solution is using QT 3.0 or libgtk 2.4
(or is it 3.0?).

> Hopefully you will find interest in the ivrix-discuss@ivrix.org.il mailing
> list.
> Although it is administrated by an Israeli volunteers, it does have
> participants from other countries. And this is because the RTL problem is
> shared among Arabic and Hebrew.

But RTL is only a part of the problem. Arabeyes is a much better site
for general Arabization, including Arabic font making.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
When the aliens come, when the deathrays hum, when the bombers bomb,