Re: [RFC] Developer documentation packages.

On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 03:05:09PM +0200, Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 02:30:54PM +0200, David N. Welton wrote:
> > "Francesco P. Lovergine" <frankie@debian.org> writes:
> >
> > > Some e-books are available also under Open Publication License.
> > > What do you think of a pseudo package `ebooks-dev' which collects as
> > > many guides, faqs and e-books as possible (in HTML format whenever
> > > possible)? Is this a well-known question? What are your comments
> > > about this argument?
> >
> > Books are big.  Something that pulls in a lot of them is likely to be
> > quite heavy.  I think a package called 'books index' would make more
> > sense.  This would provide an index to all the book packages that are
> > available in Debian, instructing the user on how to go about
> > downloading it.  Does something like this make sense?
> >

> Well if we started with conventional names such as
>
> ebook-dev-*
>
> then something like:
>
> apt-cache search ebook-dev
>
> suffices for a complete index. In this case, a pseudo package could
> be unuseful.
>
> What about a unique tree for this kind of books, like
>
> /usr/share/doc/ebook-dev
>
> which contains a couple of directories:
>
> 	html
> 	pdf
>
> for different kinds of ebooks?

A note: all ebooks should be not package-specific, i.e. not a program
user's guide. So, HTML 4.0 specs at W3C is a good example,
Perl doc is a bad example, generally.
It could be nice if all you send me a collection of ebooks you think
is a must for a developer. Only HTML/PDF/PS/TXT formats.

E.g.

HTML 4.0 and other W3C documentation.
Advanced Linux Programming
Thinking C
Thinking Java
Thinking C++

Copyright and distribution rights should be verified ...

--
Francesco P. Lovergine