Re: build dependency alternatives sequencing

Filip Van Raemdonck <mechanix@debian.org> immo vero scripsit

> > There are a couple of other oddball cases, like
> >
> >         svgalibg1-dev | svgalib-dummyg1
> >
> > where svgalib isn't relevant for all architectures.
>
> This is exactly one of the situations where the problem I described above
> would occur. While moving the dependencies around would probably help in
> nearly all cases [1], this would also really only be masking up the buildd
> problems.

Note that this doesn't really mean,
"Build this source with svgalibg1-dev if this is available in
this architecture, and if not build with svgalib-dummyg1".

It can mean "Try to install svgalibg1-dev, but if it was not possible
to obtain it, try to install svgalib-dummyg1"

i.e. a broken mirror, or a broken package (with impossible
dependency?) can cause a "there should be SVGA support
but it doesn't in this particular build that the autobuilder has
built".

Which obviously doesn't sound like the right meaning.

regards,
	junichi

--
dancer@debian.org  http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer