Re: ddts: notification about pt_BR-translation of the hello-debhelper description

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 03:22:47PM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> * Nick Phillips
>
> | The translation of any part of a package, be it the text of error messages,
> | the text in control, or the text in debconf templates, does not need to
> | be part of the package, and hence certainly shouldn't have to be. The
> | translations can easily be completely abstracted from the package itself,
> | and that relieves the maintainer from having to have anything to do with them.
>
> The description is part of the package, can we agree on that one?
> What is the difference between a translated description and the
> original one, except for which language it is written in?

Well, all descriptions are in english by default and there is no real reason
to store every description for every package on every machine/archive.

> The package is the responsibility of the maintainer, and s/he has the
> final words on all aspects of how it should be packaged (subject to
> policy, of course).  To me, it looks like you want this changed, which
> I think is a bad idea.

But then the maintainer has to take full responsibility to maintain the
translations. And several maintainers have said they don't even want to know
about new translations since they can be added without any action on their
part.

I actually quite like the idea of allowing the farming of parts of a
package to other people. And since most people can't read more than a
language or two, it seems silly to require them to keep every translation
up-to-date.

It not like any functionality is being changed, just some text.

--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/