Re: ddts: notification about pt_BR-translation of the hello-debhelper description

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 12:00:42PM +0200, Michael Bramer wrote:

> If we talk about translation, this is not a big problem. You must only
> use gettext all the time. Maybe we can throw away the 'maintainer
> name' problem with this. (You know it: maintainer fields with
> ÖÄÜöüüßåñïééõú... in the name.)
>
> We need only one .po file, like this
>  msgid "Werner Mueller <werner@debian.org>"
>  megstr "Werner Mülller <werner@debian.org>"
> And the german User see the 'right' Name of this maintainer all the
> time.

except that I would suggest to do it the other way round, having
the proper full name as original, and individual languages
will transform the name according to their established charset.
(So that all latin 1 and latin 2 languages does not need to translate
the proper form Werner Müller, but latin 2 languages will
ASCIIfy Javier Fernandez-Sanguino Peña into Pena, and koi8-r
languages (russian) will use ASCII only form of both)