isync vs mailsync

Hello,

In my search for a "perfect" offline IMAP client(TM) I have looked at
isync vs mailsync.

Which one is better? Why is one better then the other?

I have found that in fact both have limitations, so will describe the
pros and cons here, in case in can help anybody else.

I will not comment in detail the bug reports that have been filed for
either package, to be fair you probably should read these, too.

This is my first version of this, hopefully I haven't made too many
mistakes...

ISYNC:

PROS

 - supports maildir.

 - fast, only needs to download messages that have changed.

 - supports reliably synchronisation of message flags, such as read,
 and previously read, important.

 - fast even if folder contains lots of messages that have already
 been transferred.

CONS

 - supports only maildirs. IMHO, the use of maildirs in this
 application isn't really needed, and results in less efficient use of
 diskspace.

 - encodes message UID into the message filename, apparently this is
 against maildir specifications.

 - delete message on client => gets transfered again on next download.

 - create message on client => gets ignored by isync.

MAILSYNC

PROS:
 - supports bidirectional transfer of messages.

 - can delete deleted messages (not tested).

 - can create and delete folders (not tested).

 - could potentially support other services too, such as NNTP (doesn't
 work, see bug report). However, I imagine the slow down (see cons)
 would be large, as NNTP groups can be very large.

CONS:

 - upstream author seems to be really anti-maildir, although maildir
 patches have been included in Debian version.

 - needs to retrieve the message-id of *every* message, which really
 slows the process down, especially on slow Internet link and/or if
 folder has lots of messages.

 - synchronisation of message flags doesn't work the way I would
 expect (bug has been reported).

BOTH PROGRAMS:

CONS:

  - no easy way to configure them to download messages in selected
  groups on remote server without duplicating a lot of
  configuration. I have filed bug reports on both programs, and
  supplied a patch to mailsync.

  - limited documentation.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>