Re: libgal sonames

On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 11:25:32AM -0500, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 05:23:03PM +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> > The only problem I can see is with the -dev packages, which may need
> > some work to allow different versions to be installed.
>
> That's OK. We often only support one version of -dev packages, so that
> people don't build against soon-to-be-obsolete versions by accident.

It becomes problem if the versions are not source compatible, however.
Then packages become unbuildable every time we release a new libgal
version (and update the single libgal-dev).

It may be better to have packages that link with libgal (other than
evolution and gnumeric) link statically instead of dynamically.
This would be a workaround until libgal stabilizes.  Presumably it
will stabilize at some point -- either that, or someone will take
the most useful parts of libgal and give them a stable interface
in another library.  There's obviously enough need for what libgal
provides, otherwise there wouldn't be so many packages using it now.

--
Richard Braakman
Will write free software for money.