Re: sysctl should disable ECN by default

On Sun, Sep 02, 2001 at 02:17:43AM +0200, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> #include <hallo.h>
> Neil Spring wrote on Sat Sep 01, 2001 um 04:39:30PM:
>
> > Blaming ECN for faulty IP implementations is wrong.
>
> Come back to reality please. Or stay in your dream and (for example)
> and remove all workarounds in the kernel, assuming all chipsets and
> implementations to be bug-free. Your words can be translated to "People,
> trow away your notebooks, motherboards, hard disks, and buy newer ones".

Then you have a faulty translator. What he said was that it's not fair
to blame ECN for the problems and that implemenators had plenty of
warning that that bit might need to be used. He did not say that ECN
should be turned on by default.

Your words can be translated (very liberally) as "We should never
improve anything; even backward compatible extensions will break
something, and so should be shunned."

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
"I don't care if Bill personally has my name and reads my email and