Re: adduser rewrite

On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 08:49:29PM +0200, Roland Bauerschmidt wrote:

> <quoting #debian-devel>
> <robster> lets dump perl and use python
> * ocsi wish that python would burn in the hell
> * mhp beats up robster
> <roland> Omnic: but I wouldn't want to maintain that shell script
> <Omnic> roland: feh. I would :P and I will if you go and rewrite in
> python :>
> </quoting #debian-devel>
>
> Any comments?

> I'd be glad to accept comments, feature requests, etc.

I'm not anti-python in general, but I would regard the requirement for python
in a standard system as bloat, to be avoided.

That perl is *required* is unfortunate (but really pretty much unavoidable);
Whatever you may think of the relative merits of perl vs. python, you can't
have every interpreter/scripting language and their dogs in a standard
install. A little (lot of?) self-control is required.

Cheers,

Nick
--
Nick Phillips -- nwp@lemon-computing.com
Day of inquiry.  You will be subpoenaed.