Re: mesg and devfs

On Wed, 15 Aug 2001 00:29, Wessel Dankers wrote:
> > > 	REGISTER ^pts/ PERMISSIONS -1.tty 0620
> >
> > Sure that gives ALL users the result of "mesg y" IFF their primary group
> > is "tty".  If all the users are in the same group they should be able to
> > write to each other (but users in other groups won't - this may be what
> > you desire).
>
> Note that it also sets the group to tty so that dmesg can do its thing.

You are correct!  I had mis-read the documentation on this issue (I thought
that the permissions only took names not numbers).

The next version of the devfsd package will have the following in it's
default config:
REGISTER ^pts/ PERMISSIONS -1.tty 0600

Note that I don't turn on group write by default, but the administrator could
easily change this.