Re: Perl/Debconf broken in woody?

On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, Adam Heath wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, Steve Langasek wrote:

> > > I would file a serious bug against `catalog'.
> >
> > > This not the first time a package in woody contains a debconf template
> > > which debconf in potato is unable to parse (see Bug #106360 for an example).
> > > Since we can't move debconf in woody to potato the only solution is to fix
> > > whatever template in woody makes debconf in potato to fail.
> >
> > I agree that a serious bug should be filed against catalog, but shouldn't the
> > resolution of the bug be to add the appropriate versioned pre-depends: to the
> > package?  There's nothing wrong with being incompatible with potato as long as
> > you declare the incompatibility.

> Pre-depends can not be used.  config scripts can be run before a package is
> ever sent to dpkg for processing.

Hmm.  Does this mean debconf is feature-complete and will never require
changes to the template interface -- or to the implementation thereof?  It
seems rather precarious to never be able to use the documented interface to
its fullest because there's no clean upgrade path for bug fixes...

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer