Re: Requesting advice on build dependencies

On Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 11:33:20PM -0400, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> I think what would elegantly solve this problem would be a notion of an
> optional build dependency, which would be installed by the autobuilders if it
> is available, but if it is not, the build could continue successfully.

I don't like this because then it's not obvious which build-deps were
actually in place when the package was built.

For instance, let's say vim had a conditional build-dependency on
xlibs-dev; it would be hit or miss as to whether you had X support on
the resulting packages, depending on who built it.

I think it's much better to explicitly list architectures that have some
build-depencies missing (or unique).  In my opinion the situation on
point is a corner case.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Damnit, we're all going to die;
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    let's die doing something *useful*!