Re: DFSG-compatible alternative to xfonts-scalable-nonfree?

On Sat, Jul 28, 2001 at 06:43:40PM +0200, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
> >> "Steve M. Robbins" <steven.robbins@videotron.ca> writes:
>
>  > I'm working on packages for SGI's OpenInventor.  This software uses
>  > the truetype fonts that come in the xfree86 distribution.
>  > Unfortunately, it uses the very ones (Courier, Lucidux, and Utopia)
>  > that are REMOVED from the Debian xfonts-scalable package due to
>  > nonfree licensing :-(
>
>  Courier is included.  Lucidux and Utopia aren't.

Mmm?  You're right!

I was looking only at the *.pfa files (which is what OpenInventor docs
indicated to use).  But I now see that there are Courier *.pfb files.
I'll see if inventor works with the .pfb files.

>  Utopia looks *a bit*
>  like New Century Schoolbook, IIRC.  Have you tried just replacing the
>  fonts with standard ones (Courier, Helvetica, Times Roman)?  Little
>  problem: none of these are truetype fonts.

My understanding is that inventor requires TrueType fonts.
But you're right that we can probably get away with substitution, if
appropriate TrueType ones can be found.  Hence my question ;->

>  There's an installer for
>  the MS TrueType Core Fonts for the Web, and that includes a monospaced,
>  a serif and a sans-serif font.  AFAIR, the fonts are not *required*.
>  It would be nice if the issue gets fixed, but I wouldn't call it
>  critical.

Sure, you don't need the fonts if the inventor application or scene
file doesn't have any text in it.  But if you _do_ try to open one
(e.g. jackInTheBox.iv), ivview will coredump :-/

-Steve

--
by Rocket to the Moon,
by Airplane to the Rocket,