Re: Should you use dietlibc for installation and rescue disks?

Hi Marcus!

> > It seems, that Mandrake Linux is going to use dietlibc:
> >
> > http://www.fefe.de/dietlibc/mandrakesoft.txt
> >
> > Here is a homepage of dietlibc:
> >
> > http://www.fefe.de/dietlibc/
>
> I don't have any clueful things to say about if we should use it on the
> Debian GNU/Linux install and rescue systems or not.  But this library will
> definitely not do the job for Debian GNU/Hurd.  Also, maintaining and
> testing another C library is more work than sticking with one (al other
> factors excluded).  It might be easier to have the same library (glibc)
> for both, or different ones, depending on how hard it is for Debian
> GNU/Linux to cope with glibc.

I'm maintaining dietlibc already so there's no need to worry about that.
Also, dietlibc IS a lot smaller than glibc so it is definitely an option.

Although Hurd is not supported, ARM, Sparc, PowerPC, i386, etc is all
supported. Also busybox et al works fine with it.

--

Regards
 Abraham

Did it ever occur to you that fat chance and slim chance mean the same thing?

Or that we drive on parkways and park on driveways?

 Abraham vd Merwe [ZR1BBQ] - The Debian Project
 P.O. Box 3472, Matieland, Stellenbosch, 7602
 Cell: +27 82 565 4451 Email: abz@debian.org
 Http: http://people.debian.org/~abz/