Re: potato -> woody upgrade not smooth...

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 10:07:17PM -0300, Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote:
> I went to upgrade to woody in this box and I noticed that
> apt-get dist-upgrade is not good enough... apt wants to remove
> xbase-clients, xfonts* and some other things... it left me
> without 'startx' in the end...

Next time try dselect.  From the dpkg manual page:

DESCRIPTION
       dpkg  is a medium-level tool to install, build, remove and
       manage Debian GNU/Linux packages.  The  primary  and  more
       user-friendly  front-end  for  dpkg  is  dselect(8).  dpkg
       itself is controlled entirely via command line parameters,
       which  consist  of  exactly  one  action  and zero or more
       options. The action-parameter tells dpkg what  to  do  and
       options control the behavior of the action in some way.

and further down:

INFORMATION ABOUT PACKAGES
       dpkg  maintains  some  usable  information about available
       packages. The information is  divided  in  three  classes:
       states,  selection  states  and  flags.   These values are
       intended to be changed mainly with dselect.

Why people have forgotten about it?  I don't know.  May I do not
spend enough time on irc and slashdot.

> just don't know if that is an X bug or apt is not being as
> smart as it is needed... I will test woody's instalation in
> this box too but I'm more concerned about the potato->woody
> upgrade... cause most of the users will do this...

Please help spread the gospel: "use dselect".

> I also had problems with libc6-dev, it expected that
> libc++-std-(...)-dev was installed but it would still be
> installed then it broke, shouldn't libc++-std-???-dev be
> installed first then?

Shouldn't you have checked beforehand?  Use dselect.

Cheers,

Joost