Re: METIS package

On Sat, Jun 30, 2001 at 07:27:42PM +0300, Eray Ozkural wrote:
> On Saturday 30 June 2001 17:51, Joost Kooij wrote:
> >
> > Did you ask them about their opinion of:
> >   http://www.debian.org/social_contract
> > ?
> >
> > Conveniently, the dfsg definition is on that same page.
>
> Thanks for the information :P

That page describes debian's position and objectives in the best way.
It also provides an easy subject to ask the upstreams people's opinion
about.  You explain your position, so they can place themselves relative
to that.  They may think it's the best thing since sliced bread, or they
may point out particular items that they do not agree with, which is
clearly their right to do so.  After this, it is much easier to respect
the other's position, regardless of any differences.

I believe that, in case of any possible license confusion, it is best to
refer people to debian's intents first, and only get into an argument
about any details after that and when you can't avoid the issues that
a license holder sees.

> Well, I did tell them that we would appreciate if they would consider
> switching to a free software license, which is I think a concept they are
> familiar with. They did not comment on that aspect of my inquiry, which may
> be interpreted as "no".

You surely know best what the situation with the authors is like at the
moment and how to handle it.  But if you were to bring it up again to
get any real statement from them on the issues, the social_contract page
would seem like a good choice to me, wtwty.

Cheers,

Joost