Re: harden distribution

On 06/28/2001 11:22:43 AM David Spreen wrote:
>> I know, there were lots of discussions around this, but I'll try this
anyway.
>> Why isn't it possible to make a hardened distribution?

It's possible, at least for main and contrib.  Think DFSG, GPL.  Why do you
think it's impossible?

>> What I mean is a distribution in which every programm is compiled using
>> stackguard. Some security related systems, like lids and so on.
>> The problem is, hey, of course we can recompile all the programms
>> and make a -sg version of all our packages, but themn the distribution
becomes
>> too complex I think.

Sounds good.  Maybe intentionally "forget" to port telnetd and r commands
to the new secure distribution.

>> Where is the problem with this? Why is it so cool to get a win32 port,
but
>> a hardened linuxdistribution is so deprecated?
>>
>> I don't know, what your problems are, would be cool to get a real
explanation
>> with real arguments.

The argument is explained below.

>> P.S.: please include me in your replies, because I am not subscribed to
dd
>> anymore, too much unwanted trafic.

So, you want "someone else" to reoption every package, and then recompile
each package, and provide the infrastructure for everyone to download it,
but you don't want to put forth the effort to subscribe to dd and wade thru
the sewer with the rest of us?  I think that is the problem.

Many people want it, but noone cares enough, including myself.