Re: uninterruptible sleep processes

On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 07:03:18PM +0200, Joost Kooij wrote:
> You should check what files or descriptors the state "D" processes are
> blocking on (try attaching "strace".)  If your process is trying to read
> from a file on a nfs mounted filesystem, but the nfs is down (or just the
> network to it), you have to either wait for the server to come up again,
> reboot your system and next time use "soft mount" flags when mounting
> the nfs share onto your system.

A hack to get rid of stalled NFS mount point, if you have a nfs daemon
running on your machine, is to add an interface with the address of the
stalled server
ifconfig eth0:1 inet <inet of server>
(you may need to add a route)

and then run umount /<nfs mount point>
 remove the interface...
ifconfig eth0:1 down

the umount request is got by the local nfs daemon which choke on it
and close the mount.

Note that you may loose NFS requests that wait for the real server, but
since nfs is synced it may be harmless.

Anyway it had worked last time I tried it, but GDFG,YSDF and TPFL [1].

Cheers,

Bill.

[1] Sorry I have scrambled my jargon files.