Re: locale name standard

On Sat, 23 Jun 2001, Robert Bihlmeyer wrote:
> GOTO Masanori <gotom@debian.or.jp> writes:
> > Yes. Because you set wrong locale designation.
>
> I know that. The point I'm trying to make is: how do users know which
> values are correct? Especially when the correct answers differ from
> application to application.

All names registered with IANA for charsets, countries and languages should
be made valid (i.e. they should be made known aliases to whatever the system
uses natively). Note that not all combinations will be valid, but there is
no helping that.

> The problem is the missing world standard, exactly.

The standards ARE there. Xlib and others are at a fault for not implementing
the ISO ones, never mind the standard is newer than the first locale
implementation.  It is a bug, one that is annoying, and should be fixed.

I am not sure if there is a standard for the combined aa_BB.C*@d* locale
definition, though.

  Henrique Holschuh