Re: What to do with ae...

On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 04:32:03PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 23, 2001 at 10:08:15AM +1000, Jason Thomas wrote:
> > one suggestion would be to have ae as a symlink to nano-tiny for
> > backwards compatibility.  Some people will be expecting it.
>
> removing it from the archive does not automatically purge it from
> everyone's machines.  it just won't be their on new installs where it
> won't matter since nobody was expecting to be forced to use ae
> anyway.

 I believe he is reffering to people who have used the rescue/root floppies
 in the past, and were forced to use ae. They might not know ae was replaced
 the next time they boot off a floppy.

> > or would that cause more confusion, maybe a shell script saying run
> > nano-tiny instead.
>
> bleah.  cruft.

 Actually I think we have an obligation to include a pointer to the
 new editor. When I recently booted off a rescue floppy I automatically
 went for vi to edit my lilo.conf, I got a nice little message pointing
 me to ae.

 I think the same should be done in this case, at least for the next release.
 I don't think it will matter after that since most people wouldn't try for
 ae because it's their preference, but because it's what they were used to
 doing the last time.

--
  Nick Jennings