Re: Cygwin + Debian

On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 07:33:29PM +0530, Ramakrishnan M wrote:
> It will be good, if someone could port the Build environment of debian into
> Cygwin, so that people who don't have access to debian boxes can build deb
> packages and upload it... Maybe this sounds stupid and absurd...

More like totally out of proportion.  If you want to build a
debian package intended for serious upload, building it on a proper
debian machine is not at all unreasonable to require.

On a windows machine, there might be no end to the seemingly random
hassle that one can never finally control and contain, unless they read
email for bgates@microsoft.com.  But even then I would have my doubts,
judging by my own experiences with windows.  What sorts of patches did
you install?  I wouldn't want any of your private data stuck in any part
of a .deb, just because there is a bug in windows memory management and
ole container data handling.

Cheers,

Joost