Re: traceroute /usr/bin -> /usr/sbin

* Sami Haahtinen (ressu@uusikaupunki.fi) spake thusly:
> On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 02:43:34PM -0400, Brian Russo wrote:
> > heh, woo, didnt realize that initial post had turned into a long flamewar,
> > until i stopped by debianplanet and noticed it was in an article there..
>
> Did you look at the poll?
>
> current votes: (total 687)
> bin -> 50.36% (346)
> sbin -> 25.62% (176)
>
> the rest of the votes went for 'i don't care it's in my $PATH'

Grrr... I know I posted this to debian-* at least once before...

<RANT>
Why changing command names, locations, switches etc is a Bad Thing[tm]:

1. try typing "killall" on IRIX or Solaris -- works better if you're root
 ("Since version 20 Craig Small <csmall@small.dropbear.id.au> can be blamed"),
2. try typing "hostname -s" on Solaris -- again, works better as root
 (Sun fscked up this one big time),
3. I do write scripts occasionally and it pisses me off that perl is in
 /usr/freeware/bin on irix, /usr/local/bin on sol 7 and /usr/bin on linux and
 sol 8. And all those have different /bin/sh's so stupid shebang tricks aren't
 portable either.
4. <insert your favourite pet peeves here>.

OK, I don't expect there to be too many scripts that call /usr/sbin/traceroute,
but still... If some idjit is incapable of adding /usr/sbin to their $PATH they
shouldn't be allowed to touch a computer. Full stop.
</RANT>

Dima
--
E-mail dmaziuk at bmrb dot wisc dot edu (@work) or at crosswinds dot net (@home)