Re: non-US question

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Julian Gilbey wrote:

> > Interesting: He just loggin in, so I guess he downloads the source from
> > there (if it isn't on Pandora already), compiles it there and leaves it
> > there, altough he 'works' from inside the US. Will this qualify as
> > exporting? The crypto code won't ever enter the US, unless he cats the
> > source on his terminal, no?
>
> Apologies; I misread the original post.  I would tend to agree with
> you, Michael, but IANAL.

Not sure if a lawyer was consulted before, but I tried doing the same
using a machine in the Netherlands to build non-US and was told by the DPL
(Bruce, at that time) that it didn't matter whether or not I looked at the
code....I still couldn't upload the result.  I really couldn't even
"export" patches to the code (was compiling and sometimes porting packages
to Alpha).

Basically, if what I was told wasn't good turns out to be ok, then it
would definitely help Alpha a bit...