Re: locale name standard

Hi,

At 19 Jun 2001 17:38:14 +0200,
Robert Bihlmeyer <robbe@orcus.priv.at> wrote:

> Many Debian users living outside of the US use locales, i.e. they set
> the environment variable LANG, or LC_DATE, LC_NUMERIC, etc. This post
> is about the value one should set these variables to.

(In my opinion as a multibyte language speaker, LC_CTYPE is the most
important one. :-)

> While the locale interface itself is well standardized, there seems to
> be no resemblence of a standard about these values. SUSv2 calls them
> "implementation dependent". The current LSB draft does not mention
> locales. The glibc manual avoids naming names. The only concrete
> documentation I could find was the setlocale(3) manpage (see below).

You may be interested in the public review of "Locale Name
Guideline" at http://www.li18nux.org/subgroups/sa/index.htm
Note the deadline of the public review is 2001-06-30.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/
"Introduction to I18N"  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/intro-i18n/