Re: Missionaries of the GNU Testament (was Re: ITP ptolemy?)

hi...

On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 10:01:51AM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
>maybe it's time for debian to send out missionaries to spread the
>word of GNU and the doctrine of BSD - to teach modern free software
>programming methodology :)

I think, the debians, who goes to events like "Linuxtag in Germany" or
"LSM at Bordeaux" are doing that, aren't they? :)

>that's said in a joking manner, but with serious intent. we've learnt a
>lot in the last few years - valuable lessons in designing and developing
>complete systems (i.e. the "big picture" of systems design rather
>than the fine details of a single application) that would be useful
>in the fringes of the free software world - physicists, biologists,
>astronomers, scientists in general and other professions & individuals
>who use & develop free software because it's the best way of getting
>their jobs done and sharing their work with their peers, rather than
>free software for its own sake.

Yes, you're right....

>perhaps all that's needed here is a more conscious awareness of the
>mentoring role that debian and the free software community in general
>can provide...and calls for volunteers to help modernise & clean up
>crufty old code too, of course.

I think so, but, IMHO it is better to let come the developers to debian and
not to call the to come. When somebody decided to help the debian-project,
hi is convinced of debian and will do propper work for debian.

When you are calling for volunteers (like a missionary), you got poeple, who
doesn't know aout debian, perhaps, and after a short time, they will decide
to go off debian.

When someone works with debian a long time and he is thinking, "this is a
got OS, I will do something for it", hey... that's the way I think, he is
familiar with debian and will do good work!

Greetings
		Jan-Hendrik Palic

--
One time, you all will be emulated by linux!

----
Jan- Hendrik Palic
Url:"http://www.billgotchy.de";
E-Mail: "palic@billgotchy.de"