Re: How to deal with svgalibg1 | svgalib-dummyg1 and recent debhelper

On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 01:54:54PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> > Hmm...  I think Joey is mistaken in calling the substvars file an
> > "internal interface".  It may happen to be the way dh_shlibdeps
> > communicates with dh_gencontrol, but it is also a file in a documented
> > format which is part of the interface between dpkg-shlibdeps and
> > dpkg-gencontrol.  Package maintainers should be free to deal with
> > this file, and debhelper should not try to get in the way.
>
> Wichert pointed out to me that the substvars format is not documented
> *at all*. Show me some documentation of it.
>
> > In other words, I suggest to Joey that he puts this "automatically
> > determined substvars data" in a documented location, so that it
> > can be massaged between the dh_shlibdeps and dh_gencontrol steps.
>
> Massaging after the fact should really not be necessary. It should be
> possible to make correct substvars info be generated through the use of
> shlibs.local files or whatever. Shouldn't it?

I don't know about those who meddle with the file's contents, but I was not
amused when I had to figure out what the heck went wrong with my wonderful
little debian/rules snippet:

	dpkg-shlibdeps \
         -dDepends `find $(tmp)/usr/bin -type f ! -name gnomexmms -perm +111` \
                   `ls -1 $(tmp)/usr/lib/*.so.*` \
         -dRecommends `find $(tmp)/usr/lib/xmms -type f -name "*.so"` \
         -dSuggests $(tmp)/usr/bin/gnomexmms

(-Txmms.substvars is now necessary.)

And I didn't change my $DH_COMPAT. <grumble>