Re: horse carcas flogging (was: traceroute in /usr/bin, not /usr/sbin)

    Hello,

On Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 10:18:10AM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> it has been debated. over and over and over and over and over and over
> again.

    Reference please.  I asked for a debate "whether the FHS mandates that
traceroute must move."  I've made my arguments[1] (that the directive in the
FHS[2] is clear and that policy states that we must be compliant with the
FHS[3]).  Please either refute them or point me to documents/previous
discussion that does so.  Or else you could concede, of course.  :-)

> it's boring. it gets nowhere. it goes around in circles. there is no
> resolution in sight.
>
> just quit flogging the horse. there is nothing to be achieved by doing
> it.

    If, as you argue, there is no resolution in sight and nothing to be
achieved by doing it, it is because the only way this discussion ends is for
it to just die.  If we made a change to policy, or explicitly decided to
ignore the FHS with regards to /usr/sbin, or changed the FHS (or indicated
that we are trying to change the FHS or policy), then we could trot out that
decision next time this subject comes up.  As it stands, when someone
mentions it, we have nothing to say except "go away, we're not discussing
this," which is not very helpful, does not show that our users are one of
our priorities, and belies our oft repeated assertion that we are concerned
with technical excellence.

> there is no resolution that will make everyone happy.

    Then a resolution of any kind.  I have made it clear what I think needs
to be done.  If you have other suggestions that will put this to rest (just
ignoring it will not put it to rest, IMO), please share them.

> the only viable solution is to add the sbin directories to the default
> path...and that in itself would be the subject of a long and drawn out
> debate at least as tedious and pointless as this one.

    That's a solution to the user convenience problem, not the
we're-lying-about-fhs-compatibility problem that I am concerned about.

Rene, who thinks that perhaps the best way out of this is to change policy
    to read, "The location of all installed files and directories must
    comply with the Linux Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS), except where
    doing so would violate other terms of Debian Policy, or in the case of
    /sbin and /usr/sbin which we feel are just plain wrong."