Re: changing framebuffer device owner during login

On Sat, Jun 16, 2001 at 07:56:51PM +0200, Jochen Voss wrote:
> Hi,
>
> recently I tried the framebuffer image viewer fbi.
> The manual page states
>
>        fbi needs rw access to the framebuffer devices (/dev/fbN),
>        i.e  you  (our  your admin) have to make sure fbi can open
>        the devices in rw mode.  One way  is  to  use  pam_console
>        (see  /etc/security/console.perms) to chown the devices to
>        the user logged in on the console.  Another way is to  put
>        the  users which are allowed to use the framebuffer device
>        to the approximate group (video on debian).
>
> I had problems to set this up correctly:
>
> 1) "pam_console" seems not to be packed for debian.  Maybe it is
> RedHat specific?  Is there any way to change the owner of den
> frambuffer devices for console logins, using our current PAM
> implementation?  And, if possible, shouldn't this be done by default?
>
> 2) A group "video" does exist in my "/etc/group" file,
> but the framebuffer device permissions are
>
>     crw--w--w-    1 root     tty       29,   0 May  5  2000 /dev/fb0
>
> Maybe this should be mode "660" and group "video"?
> Or is the manual page wrong?

Good point. MAKEDEV does have root:video for fb devices with perms=620.
However, upon installation Debian did create /dev/fb? as you show
above... I would say this is a bug in base.tar.gz, however I just read
that base.tar.gz is now no more. Hmm, if the perms should be 660 that is
an issue with MAKDEV from the makedev package.

--
Gordon Sadler