ITP ptolemy?

I'm thinking about packaging ptolemy. This is a decent-sized application
useful for simulating electronics system, particularly DSP. It's pretty
cool stuff. The license is BSD.

There's a complication though.. users can develop their own bits of
code (called stars, which become part of a galaxy), and their code
is dynamically linked to the ptolemy binary itself at runtime.
So the upstream authors say the user's code needs to be compiled
with the same version of gcc as ptolemy itself.

So if ptolemy is always compiled with the latest version of the
compiler, users will have to recompile their stars whenever our
standard gcc changes. That's a bit undesirable.

(There's a couple of other posts about this in the lists archives,
from a couple of years back. All of them commented about the GCC
problem. There could also be a problem with it requiring a customised
version of tcl.)

Suggestions? A ptolemy-gcc package which installs itself into
/usr/lib/ptolemy? That's the preferred option by the upstream
authors; their precompiled binary packages include gcc and tcl
binaries.

Input welcome. I haven't sent in a wnpp bug for this yet
as I might change my mind!

Hamish