Re: traceroute in /usr/bin, not /usr/sbin

On 06/14/2001 01:45:52 AM ben wrote:
>> Move it to /usr/bin .  From the FHS v2.2:
>>
>> [begin quote]
>>
>> 4.10 /usr/sbin: Non-essential standard system binaries
>> 4.10.1 Purpose
>>
>> This directory contains any non-essential binaries used exclusively by
>> the system administrator. System administration programs that are
>> required for system repair, system recovery, mounting /usr, or other
>> essential functions must be placed in /sbin instead.
>>
>> [end quote]
>>
>> traceroute is not used 'exclusively by the system administrator', nor
>> is it needed for bootup, so it must go in /usr/bin.  Pretty simple.

It is also not used for:

1) System repair (well, maybe diagnosing other systems)
2) System recovery (I'm reading that as restoring backups..)
3) Mounting /usr (obviously)
4) Essential functions (kernel will run fine without traceroute, etc)

In summary, combining our two arguments, per the FHS, it absolutely must
move.

There is no acceptable excuse not to move it.