Re: networking in rcS

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001, Anthony Towns wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 09, 2001 at 11:44:40PM -0400, Sean Dague wrote:
> > > Moving S40networking out of rcS.d will require moving S45mountnfs.sh as
> > > well (along with who knows what).
> > That is true, probably everything > S40 would need to be moved out of there.
> > In my experience with other linux distributions single user mode doesn't
> > bring up networking. [...]
> > I'll register a bug tommorrow unless I see compelling arguements that the
> > current way is the right way.  [...]
>
> That's nice. It'll just get closed, unless you present a *very* compelling
> argument as to why the current way is the wrong way.

How about this?

"Single user mode" means "only one user is able to log on". If a user is
already logged on via the network and you go to single user mode, that
connection may or may not be closed. Unless the network is being brought
down, you can't be sure that "single user mode" is really what the name
says it is.

> "Red Hat does it differently" is not a remotely compelling argument,
> for reference.

Of course not. But "99% of the other distributions I've seen does it that
way" may be...

And I believe most distributions indeed do it this way.

OTOH, why would networking be interesting in single user mode in the first
place? I really can't think of a good reason why you would need networking
in single user mode...

<snip>

--
wouter dot verhelst at advalvas in belgium

Try does not exist. Believe that you will do it, else you will fail.

       -- Luke Skywalker,
       in the trilogy "The Jedi Academy", Kevin J. Anderson