Re: APT : Packages file to large to download everytime.

On Sat, Jun 09, 2001 at 03:49:38PM +0530, Viral wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 06:08:36AM +0100, Edward Betts wrote:
> > Good idea, you can look at cvs.debian.org for some of the code that you will
> > need to modify to generate incremental package files.
>
> Why can't we just use diff+patch ? Using that, we could have something
> called apt-incremental, thus avoiding adding extra dependencies on apt.

Why don't you use a transfer method which suits your available bandwidth?
eg use rsync for the Packages file. For example, I have cable modem and
it takes me only 30-60 seconds to run 'apt-get update'.

> Well, on an unrelated issue, what do folks think of the idea of
> apt-gnutella or apt-freenet ?

What is the need?

Despite some attempts and discussion over the past few years there are
still no major unofficial .deb repositories. I think that's a good
thing; we don't need a deb equivalent of rpmfind.net. That is not how
a quality distribution is made. Interesting how the whole "drop non-free"
movement has fallen to bits too.

Hamish