packaging conflicts

I maintain a package that provides several binaries.  Another developer
decided that one of these binaries needed to be packaged independantly
of my larger package.  This developer made and uploaded their package,
and has now filed a bug report against mine requesting that I do
something to avoid having overlapping files.  They did not contact me
prior to splitting out the binary into its own package (maybe they
didn't know my package provided it).  How should this be handled?  It
seems to me that if someone wanted that binary split off into its own
package then they should have filed a bug against my package and let me
handle it.

What do other developers think of this?  I wasn't able to find anything
in the Developer's Reference or the Policy document about situations
like this.  I suppose you could argue that I should have caught the ITP
and informed the person that this file is part of my package, but is it
reasonable to require me to read the wnpp list?

Thanks.
noah