Re: Is there a tool which keeps track of space on filesystems during install?

On Mon, May 28, 2001 at 07:07:39AM -0000, Pawel Wiecek wrote:
> On May 25, 12:49pm, Itai Zukerman wrote:
> > I think this functionality belongs more properly to dpkg.  You want to
> > stop dpkg from unpacking a .deb that it *suspects* won't fit in the space
> > left.  It *suspects* that it won't fit if after unpacking the .deb files
> > there won't be any space left.  That can be tested without unpacking
> > the .deb.
>
> By doing tar t instead of tar x. Still, one would have to waist time (and
> possibly some connection time if he pays for it) to download packages he
> won't install anyway.
But apt already does tell me how much space is used after unpacking
packages. At least apt seems to have a rough idea how much space is
needed *before* any scripts in postinst aquire or free some more
space. Using this information will at least not fill your filesystems
on purpose, although there are other possibilities to fill a
filesystem as pointed out in previous posts.

However to keep a system in a sane state there should be a tool which
keeps track of available space and trigger warnings. Even if dpkg
boils out if the filesystem is full the admin might be forced to
remove other packages, because dpkg would refuse to remove a not fully
install package.

Matthias
--
+-------------created at Mon May 28 13:28:58 CEST 2001-----------------+
|    Matthias Berse                          Phone:+49-2323-42397      |