Re: Autoconf 2.50

Timshel Knoll <timshel@debian.org> writes:

> 2.50 claims to be `backwards-compatible with well-written configure
> scripts' of 2.13 ...  (can't remember where I read that - must've been
> in the autoconf mailing list archives ...)

There are a very large number of poorly written configure scripts, in part
because 2.13 was lacking some fundamental facilities and customization
capabilities and people hacked around that by taking advantage of 2.13
internals that have changed beyond recognition in 2.50.

2.50 also introduces sane M4 quoting, as opposed to the hodge-podge of
stuff that 2.13 was using, and therefore configure.in scripts that make
extensive use of changequote are likely to have trouble.

Many of the hairier configure.in scripts, such as XEmacs and gcc, are
known to have problems with 2.50 (although I'm sure this is being fixed in
later versions).