Re: gpm, USB mouse, Linux 2.4.4

>>>>> "sam" == sam  <sam@oddbox.org> writes:

    sam> The input layer has changed for the better in 2.4, make sure
    sam> you have full USB hid support, and that data comes out of
    sam> /dev/input/mice when you move the mouse gpm repeating is
    sam> obsolete because input/mice can be read by x and gpm
    sam> simultaneously.

Good. I am glad somebody else agrees with me there...

As for the other suggestions: I have everything required compiled
directly into the kernel, so doubt it is a hotplug issue (which I
haven't even bothered to install yet... hmmm... must fix that).

X works fine, so that seems to indicate that the drivers are working.

Also, if I type in "cat /dev/input/mice" random data appears.

Similarly, if I strace/ltrace the gpm process, it is definitely
processing this input. It (reads 1 byte, opens /dev/tty0, does an
ioctl operation: ioctl(4, 19259, 0xbffffc18), and then closes
/dev/tty0) x 3. It seems a bit weird it wants to access /dev/tty0 so
often, as that isn't my active console, but I will assume that is
normal.

Weird.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>