Re: Woody upgrading problems, LILO and debconf

John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu> writes:

> Not ashamed, just not willing to reveal it.  You may rest assured though
> that my real identity is much more boring than my "galt" identity.

One must wonder.  The normal behavior of humans is to give their name
in public communication.  One therefore wonders "why is he refusing to
give his name"?

Well, there are several reasons I can think of.  If the true reason is
not on this list, feel free to supply it.

1) He's being ornery and has no good reason.  He wants to disregard
   the normal rules of social communication.  Since he has no good
   reason to do so, we should doubt whether he is following other
   rules of social communication, like those that exclude lying,
   misrepresentation, plagiarism and the like.

2) He's ashamed of what he writes here; he doesn't want people
   elsewhere to know that he writes things here.  What could account
   for that shame?  Perhaps he works for/with people who object to
   free software.

3) He's ashamed of who he is elsewhere.  He's Timothy McVeigh, or
   some other person; he thinks if we knew who he was, we'd regard him
   with contempt.

4) He's trying to trick us.  He's, say, Steve Ballmer, and he wants to
   defeat our efforts by throwing sand in our faces.

Thomas