Re: upgrading to postgresql 7.1

    Petr> yes. dump. purge. install. reload - there are IMHO way too
    Petr> much possible configurations to can safely do this
    Petr> automaticaly. And that's what is the .deb also trying to do
    Petr> - automaticaly. So do it by hand and you're OK.

How do you dump a 7.0 database? I keep getting memory errors generated
by the old server all the time. (maybe I am not starting it correctly?
It is the copy stored in /var/lib/postgresql/dumpall/7.0/)

How do you create a new blank database with 7.1? With 7.0 there use to
be a pg_init executable (or something similar), but I can't seem to
find it here.  Just reinstalling postgresql from scratch with data
missing does not work, as it attempts to execute postmaster.init,
which no longer works, hence crashing the postinst script (sorry, I
can't copy the error, as gpm is currently broken).

How do you import the new database into 7.1?  I tried psql, but
without success. Will try it again when I know the answers to the
above (at least the 2nd one).
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>