Re: Debian packages relying on TMPDIR

    Brian> 3. Or perhaps /etc/somedir/somefile could contain a small
    Brian> shell script which sets the default policy for all
    Brian> environment variables for all daemons?

I should have thought more before I typed this in. PAM might be able to
do this, if you put a line like:

auth       required   pam_env.so

into /etc/pam.d/su, and then configure it. Not tested though.

Also see the other thread (sorry, not sure when), where a
pam_tmpdir.so was proposed, which would automatically create a
directory under /tmp and set the TMPDIR as appropriate.

The pam.d file will get "executed" if the init.d script su's to the
lesser user. It probably will not work if the daemon is initially
started as root, and then drops its privileges :-(.

(perhaps these daemons should use PAM for this reason???)
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>