Re: how to implement a renamed package

Hi,

On Sat, May 05, 2001 at 12:39:48PM -0700, David Whedon wrote:
> This is discussed in the Developer's Reference [1]:
>
> 9.3 Replacing or renaming packages
>
> Sometimes you made a mistake naming the package and you need to rename it. In
> this case, you need to follow a two-step process. First, set your debian/control
> file to replace and conflict with the obsolete name of the package (see the
> Debian Policy Manual for details). Once you've uploaded that package, and the
> package has moved into the archive, file a bug against ftp.debian.org asking to
> remove the package with the obsolete name.

Thanks, - I know this and have done it previously in the case of
zicq and krolden.  However, what I really wanted to know is, how
this (or any other) procedure can take care that the users of the
old package will get the renamed package automatically updated with
'apt-get upgrade'? Otherwise, the new (renamed) upstream version
could be easily overlooked and the users would just wonder why the
old package is removed from the archives.
As far as I know the standard procedure depends on the active
selection of the renamed package, and the only replacement-effect is
that it will remove the old package when it is installed. But the
problem is: How shall the user know that the new package replaces
another package with a different name?

Cheers,
Guenter

--
Linux: Who needs GATES in a world without fences?