Re: How to block spam (Re: SPAM:come on dream world..)

On Wed, 2 May 2001, Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:

> At Wed, 02 May 2001 15:00:03 +0900,
> Kenshi Muto <kmuto@debian.org> wrote:

> > I have a little drastic idea.

> > I think the mailserver of Debian.org may rejects mails which contain

> > All of Japanese who want meaningful discussions use the English
> > language (Content-Type: US-ASCII) on Debian mailing-lists.

> Good idea.  Though we may sometimes want to use Japanese
> (for example, for i18n-related development), we can use
> multipart mail to contain Japanese (and other all non-ASCII
> messages) for such purpose.

> Do you think inhibiting all non-ASCII (including ISO-8859-1
> aka Latin-1) is too strict?

Yes, this is too strict.  It means people who use ISO-8859-1 for everything
else, including English (as I normally do -- this mailreader seems to have
come un-configured) would have to change their mailer settings just for Debian
mailing lists.  I think forcing everyone to use the horrible, least common
denominator character set that is ASCII would be worse than tolerating the
occasional foreign language spam...

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer