dpkg-statoverride: usage question.

Are there any other docs than the manpage.  I think I may have
misinterpreted them (some elaboration there would be helpful).

What's the proper usage of dpkg-statoverride?  lintian told me that I
should kill off emacs20's usage of suidregister in favor of
dpkg-statoverride, so I presumed that meant replacing one for the
other in my postinst/prerm scripts, but after considering the issue
further, I realized that maybe dpkg-statoverride was only intended for
the local admin, and that I should just ship my file properly sgid
mail.  So which interpretation is correct?

Thanks