Re: ash word-splitting changes break shell scripts

On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 07:09:46PM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:

> Perhaps because we need a POSIX compliant shell?

> There are only two reasons that a change goes into ash.  It's either for
> standard-compliance or optimisation.

If you wish to make a version of ash which is minimally-compliant it
would probably be better to rename it since the behaviour is going to
diverge from the mainstream ash and that goal doesn't seem entirely
compatible with what people looking for a fast shell want.