Re: Packages still using /usr/doc in unstable

On 01-03-27 Dale Scheetz wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> > I have to disagree with you Dale.

> > Dale Scheetz wrote:

> > > My point is that bug age does not indicate maintainer appathy.

> > No, the lack of uploads and the lack of a maintainer reponse in
> > the BTS is the only thing we can go by.

> How can there be a "lack of a maintainer reponse" when the maintainer has
> never been contacted of the intent to NMU? That is all I'm asking for!

Because the BTS is one of the only chances to see if the maintainer is
still alive, working on bugs in his packages beneath checking the debian
mailing lists.

> Contact me BEFORE you upload an NMU, and preferably before you work on
> one!

> I have no problem, if the maintainer fails to reply, with an NMU. My whole

And how long should you wait? Damn, with this argumentation, every
maintainer can delay his answer even up to some years. Until we define
somewhere in an official document exact timelines for mailings to a
maintainer about NMUs and how much time the maintainer has for
answering, this will simply not work. So, we have to look at the
bugreports in the BTS and check if there are responses from the
maintainer. And it's easy to write such a mail within 2 minutes, which
still gives you 18 minutes for fixing.

> and complete complaint is that I only hear about the NMU after the fact.
> My maintainership is being completely ignored, and I might as well go do
> something else entirely, as waste my time working on something that
> someone else is free to stomp on with no more authority than an old bug
> report.

No, stop that wrong argumentation. Your maintainership get's only
ignored because _you_ don't show any sign of being activate working on
the bugs by sending a small note to the BTS. So how shall the other
maintainers know that you are not mia or that you are active again? It's
also up to the maintainer to show the other maintainers that he's still
doing active maintaince of his packages and not the job of all other
maintainers to first mail you and hope that you anser fast for NMU'ing
the package. Answering all those mails will take more time then 20
minutes, which you may only have for bug fixing.

Christian
--
           Debian Developer (http://www.debian.org)