apt-get source

Thank you for the help. But after doing this, I am lead to one more question. When I recompiled glibc for my sys arch everyhting went smoothely, but when I do an apt-get upgrade it tries to download new packages, the same version number might I add. Of course I can just place those packages on hold, but I was wondering as to the "why". Why does apt want to grab the official packages even though mine have been built in the exact same manner?