Re: dpkg-scanlibs

On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 08:16:55PM +0100, Peter Makholm wrote:
> >         2) Converting the scripts is like writing them over from
> >            scratch. You get the same kind of bugginess as from a first
> >            implementation.
>
> But this is plain wrong. Proof by Authority[0]: In The Mythical Man Month
> chapter 11 Fred Brooks says: ``Plan to throw one away; you will,
> anyhow.''

And in the anniversary edition, in the chapter "The Mythical Man-Month
after 20 Years", the same person with 20 years more experience says:

  "Plan to throw one away; you will, anyhow." This I now perceive to be
  wrong, not because it is too radical, but because it is too simplistic.

And he goes on to disuss his assumption of the waterfall model and how
an incremental-build model is better (progressive refinement).

Sorry, couldn't resist :) Nothing of this means very much for a small script
as dpkg-shlibs/scanlibs whatever.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de