Re: WARNING! (was: Re: New Perl Packages Released)

On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 02:45:06AM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
>Brendan O'Dea <bod@debian.org> wrote:
>>The perl package provides perl5.  The perl-5.6 transitional package
>>requires perl.  People do not need to fix their packages immediately
>>(although should in time).
>
>Since /usr/lib/perl5/5.6 is not in @INC, I believe that
>architecture-independent modules built against the previous perl-5.6
>need to be rebuilt as soon as possible. Have I missed something? I know
>that statnews currently doesn't work because libmime-perl installs
>MIME::Words into that directory.

The new packages don't include /usr/lib/perl5/5.6 as the previous perl
policy mandated explicily overriding privlib as /usr/lib/perl5.

They *do* include /usr/lib/perl5/5.6/i386-linux, where XS modules were
installed, and /usr/lib/perl5 where perl only modules were meant to be
installed.

>I take it it wasn't possible to fit the old arch-independent paths into
>@INC? Luckily, nothing critical on my system seems to depend on modules
>there.

It is possible.  I just didn't do it since of the modules installed on
my system only one package got that wrong.  There would appear to be a
couple more:

  $ zgrep ^usr/lib/perl5/5.6/ dists/sid/Contents-i386.gz |
      fgrep -v /i386-linux/ | sed 's!.*/!!' | sort -u
  alien
  htag
  libchatbot-eliza-perl
  libconvert-asn1-perl
  libfile-mmagic-perl
  libhtml-mason-perl
  libhtml-template-perl
  libimage-size-perl
  libio-stringy-perl
  libmime-perl
  libnet-hotline-perl
  libnet-irc-perl

And the libcgi-pm-perl package would appear to be the only one using
/usr/lib/perl5/5.005.

I need to upload a new version to add -mieee for alpha, so I'll
temporarily add /usr/lib/perl5/5.6 to @INC and file bugs those of the
above packages which have not yet been uploaded (some have).

Regards,
--
Brendan O'Dea                                        bod@compusol.com.au
Compusol Pty. Limited                  (NSW, Australia)  +61 2 9810 3633