Re: Daemontools

tony mancill wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Jan 2001, Klaus Reimer wrote:
>
> > I don't want to "replace" the binary. I just want the init.d-Mechanism to
> > ignore the service. But it's working in that way, too. I just divert
> > /usr/sbin/proftpd, call /usr/sbin/proftpd.real from my supervise-run-script
> > and the init.d script does nothing because it does not find
> > /usr/sbin/proftpd. But what's the more clean solution in that case? Diverting
> > the binary or the init.d-script?
> >
> > Are all init.d-scripts in Debian written in that way? Checking if the binary
> > exists and exiting if not?
>
> Unfortunatley, the short answer to that is "no."  There was quite a thread
> about this last summer (or around then).  We discussed using somewhat
> standardized .rc or .config files for each service that would have
> variables such as "START_SERVICE=1" (similar to the way that HP-UX does
> it).  This way, you could load a package but not be forced to run it.
> I'm not sure what came of it.

I think I started that thread.  I posted some shell script 'services'
that could be sourced, but many people felt it was too 'RedHat-ish'.
Joey Hess propsed some changes to -policy; I don't know what ever became
of them.  AIX just puts everything in inittab.

The debhelper package (I think that's the right one) gives a bunch of
example startup scripts for templates; they all have a 'test -f'
(existance, not execution).

Chris
--
Oh My God!  They Killed init!  You Bastards!!
make install; not war